Wednesday, September 19, 2012

MACGcon Miri 8th-9th September 2012

Finally, I was able to upload most pics onto my Facebook account and now I can properly update on this event in Miri, MACGcon. It is being hosted for the first time in Bintang Plaza or now known as Bintang Megamall located in Miri from 8th September to 9th September 2012.

I got off work at around 11.30 and was only able to leave at around 12.30, picking up Nio and SJ, who followed Scary down from Bandar, at the bowling centre down to Miri! We rushed to Imperial Hotel just to let Nio get changed into her cosplay costume (just because their lobby toilet is clean and bintang megamall's toilet is well, quite the opposite =p).

Even though we rushed to the venue, the cosplay event had ended! It was very disappointing indeed because the schedule clearly stated it starts 2.30pm onwards. Well, it's their first time hosting this event, so definitely there might be circumstances that lead them to such mismanagement. Nevertheless, we walked around to look at the convention and I got disappointed again because it is quite small and it is my first time attending a con so the expectation is there. Maybe I am so used to seeing the setups of Japanese Language and Culture Week hosted in UBD and in comparison, well, there is none to be honest, except the fact they have massive..like seriously MASSIVE collections of Gundam, figurines and such D=

Nio cosplaying as Shiemi Moriyama from Ao no Exorcist and I am simply decked in simple lolita fashion (mind you, I am not cosplaying!).

Since there were nothing for us to do, we went to Starbucks to chill as well as waiting for Scary, Cherry and Jes to reach Bintang Megamall. As usual I had my green tea latte and it is so good. I also had a complimentary cupcake which I didn't finish it as it was too tough to eat. Complimentary because I was suppose to get a free slice of cake in my birthday month in August but the lady who served me that faithful day said I can only redeem 48hours later, which by then I would be in Brunei and this time I tried my luck in redeeming it and the manager in charge explained I could have redeem it in 5-10 minutes! He explained that there might be some miscommunication and just offered me a free cupcake instead of a cake. Ah wells, I won't say no to free stuff anyways. =.= But seriously, my second bad experience with Starbucks in Miri.

We met up with the rest and went back to the mini convention to look around. Seriously, the place is so packed with 1/3 of space taken up by the figurines table, 1/3 by the car circuit thingy and 1/3 by the stage~ There is actually not much coverage in this convention to be honest. It is more like an introduction of this 'culture' to the public eyes of Miri. I was hoping to see what merchandise available but there was none D= 

Dine in Marrybrown and decided to shop around the mall and I got some stuffs =D Later that night Scary, Jes, SJ and I went to UK Fun Fair located next to Boulevard while Nio and Cherry stayed back in hotel to trim Cherry's wig. So yeah, it has been awhile I last went to a fun fair. RM2 upon entry and we needed to purchase tokens (1 token=RM2) to play the rides; usually 3tokens/RM6 for the bigger rides and 2tokens/RM4 for the smaller rides. I was not feeling well after one ride and surrendered for the night, maybe I have grown D= Anyways had fun.

For more pictures on Day 1, please click here.

Oh Cherry, Jes and I stayed in Meritz hotel and boy it's so pretty. I regretted not taking any pictures around and oh they even have like a mini infinity pool but too bad we had no time to go enjoy in the pool =(
Day2: The next morning, Cherry cosplayed as Rin from Ao no Exorcist and coupled with Nio. How cute are they! For more pictures, please click here.

Finally the main attraction of the convention-the cosplay competition! There were 20 contestants overall and they need to perform an average of five minutes to impress the judges! I shall comment and give points as well since it's well, my blog, so I shall rate only 0 or 1 for Cosplay, Performance, Photogenic, Stage Usage

In clockwise direction: Ueki from Law of Ueki, Sakura from Naruto, Lenalee from D-Gray Man, I actually don't know as who but maybe a vocaloid perhaps?

Ueki: Cosplay-1 (the props were good)
Performance-1 (very very energetic, used the theme song of the anime, demonstrated the right moves)
Photogenic-0 (not the cosplayer's fault, it is just the nasty lightings!!)
Stage-0(not much moving around just maybe of his props)
Total: 2/4

 Sakura: Cosplay-1 (no dount you can see she is Sakura lol)
Performance-1 (though the music is too long for her, but she managed to portray Sakura's signature looks and poses and of course her love for Sasuke lol)
Photogenic-1 (definitely!!!! despite the nasty lightings, managed to get a few =D)
Stage-0(didnt make full use of the stage)
Total:3/4

Lenalee: Cosplay-1 (uniform, high knee socks, twin tail checked)
Performance-1 (some signature looks are there, despite the fact that she fell, I think she gave her all and I love to take her pictures!)
Photogenic- 1 (I had fun shooting her ^^)
Stage-1 (totally went around the stage, it's good!)
Total: 4/4

I don't know her character so I won't rate =p

Clockwise: Luffy from One Piece, Inori from Guilty Crown, Rikuo from Nurarihyon no Mago, Inga from Un-Go

Luffy: Cosplay-1 (yeap, that's Luffy there)
Performance-0 (like oh gawd, rapping? totally not the image I will ever imagined him to be lol)
Photogenic-1 
Stage-0(too busy rapping to the audience 8D)
Total: 2/4

Inori: Cosplay-1 (like would you look at that! the details, the props, it's amazing)
Performance-1 (She used all the props she brought along with her, the red strings, the ribbons, the gun, the sword and she looks pretty)
Photogenic-1 (i dare you to say no =.=)
Stage-1 (totally that stage is hers!)
Total: 4/4

Rikuo:Cosplay-1(spot on)
Performance-1(I liked it but it was mainly swinging the sword around, not much varieties)
Photogenic-1(yes definitely)
Stage-0(well not that much)
Stage:3/4

Inga: Cosplay-1  
Performance-1(cute what more can i say)
Photogenic-0 (just because of the hood that's giving me difficulties in shooting lol)
Stage-0(stayed mostly on same spot)
Stage:2/4

Clockwise: Inori from Guilty Crown, Ichigo from Bleach, Euphemia from Code Geass, Miku

Inori: Cosplay-1(love her costume)
Performance-1(she sang and it's lovely)
Photogenic-1( she is so cute, could have taken more pics lol)
Stage-1 (walked around, not too bad but not too good as well)
Total:4/4

Ichigo: Cosplay-1(with the props, costumes and all)
Performance-1+1(can I? lol) (top notch performance! first to re-enact scenes from the anime and gave us a surprise by an actual Bankai transformation cool cool cool)
Photogenic-1 (so very cool I can't even*&^%^&)
Stage-0(I would say not really fully using the stage to its fullest potential)
Total:3/4 + 1 special point lol

Euphemia: Cosplay-1(detailed!)
Performance-1 +1 (can I again?XD) (another top notch performance by portraying the vulnerability of the princess and then re-enacting scenes from the anime! love!)
Photogenic-1 (yes la)
Stage-1(definitely! with all those twirling's' and shootings! phewww!)
Total:4/4 + 1 special point!

Miku: Cosplay-1 (elements are there)
Performance-0 (not bad actually but I dont think she is using Miku's songs is it? Sorry but I'm not a vocaloid fan but I remember I knew the song played but it is not Miku's)
Photogenic-1 (despite the long wig, managed to capture some good ones)
Stage- 0
Total:2/4

Clockwise: Akita Neru from Vocaloid, Misaki from Kaichou wa Maid sama, Miku from Vocaloid, Conan from Detective Conan

Akita Neru: Cosplay-1
Performance-0(was just acting cute =.=)
Photogenic-1 (very much since she is cute X//D)
Stage-0
Total: 2/4

Misaki: Cosplay-1
Performance-0(well, she was portraying as a maid, not Misaki as a maid)
Photogenic-0(wasn't able to capture much)
Stage-1(she did walk around the stage and I applaud her for that!)
Total:2/4

Miku: Cosplay-0 (the wig really annoys me though, it needs trimming! and the twin tail accessories aren't around!)
Performance- 1( top notch dancer, that's it)
Photogenic-0( with her wig, nope, not at all)
Stage-0
Total:1/4

Conan: Cosplay-1(well actually just need to find a better coat not an oversized coat and blue coloured coat please!)
Performance-0(lip syncing performance and nothing part of the character)
Photogenic-0(due to his performance, I can't get to capture that Conan's look)
Stage-0
Total:1/4 

Clockwise: Itachi from Naruto, Sasuke from Naruto, Luka from Vocaloid, Karuta from Inu x Boku SS

Itachi: Cosplay-1(normally people just like to wear the Akatsuki coat and that's it, this has more details and he does look like Itachi!)
Performance-0( KONAAAAAAYUUUUKIIII~~~ he sang! and boy, it's not bad, but I got thinking Itachi is this emo deep inside!!! but to uphold his image to the public, this performance is a bit... D=)
Photogenic-1 (yes he is)
Stage-0
Total:2/4

Sasuke: Cosplay-1(not too bad, not too good either)
Performance-1(so much actions, the jujitsu, the jumps, the signature poses, WOW!)
Photogenic-1 (with all those actions he did, yes!)
Stage-1 (DEFINITELY!)
Total:4/4

Luka: Cosplay-1 (more accurate than some Luka cosplays I have seen =p)
Performance-1(very energetic, stay true to the music dance)
Photogenic-0( with her energetic dance and her long wig, it's just... not possible I suppose)
Stage-0( actually she moved a lot, but only in the centre)
Total:2/4

Karuta: Cosplay-1(in the maid outfit when she was held captive by Kagerou)
Performance-1(music and dance spot on but the facial expression, not really but still adorbs with the opening and closing sequence)
Photogenic-1(yes, I had fun~=p)
Stage-0(not really full usage)
Total:3/4

group pictures of all cosplayers! 

So who do you think won? Well as for me (being the 'syok-sendiri-judge'), let me compile the marks and let you know what I think!

Ueki:2/4
Sakura:3/4
Lenalee:4/4
Luffy:2/4
Inori (red dress):4/4
Rikuo:3/4
Inga:2/4
Inori (black dress):4/4
Ichigo:3/4 + 1 Special point
Euphemia:4/4 +1 Special point
Miku:2/4
Akita Neru:2/4
Misaki:2/4
Miku:1/4
Conan:1/4
Itachi:2/4
Sasuke:4/4
Luka:2/4
Karuta:3/4
The ones with special point auto gets into the top three position! So my final pick for top three is Ichigo, Euphemia and Inori with the red dress!

As for 7 consolation prizes my pick goes to Lenalee, Inori (black dress), Sasuke, Karuta, Sakura, Rikuo and Ueki!

But alas, it is just my thoughts, the decisions have been made and there goes to prizing ceremony~

I only able to capture six of them! I have no idea who the 7th winner was 

The top three! Anyone guessed it right?=)

Finally a group picture of the winners!

Not long after, we had to rush back to Brunei because it was late already. Overall, this event held for its first time is actually not that bad, just keep improving over the years and hopefully it still survives! =D

For more pictures of the performances, please click here.

-LcK-

No comments: